Wednesday 3 June 2015

ANXIETY! + tips on how to deal with it

Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Panic Attacks, Mental Health, Awareness, Tips,
Source: Google images

I was diagnosed with anxiety/social anxiety at around the age of 19/20. I’d had mini panic attacks before my diagnosis but hadn't realised what they were or why I was having them. They consisted of these intense rushes of panic and fear and I felt like I was spiralling down. My first full blown attack was awful, I couldn’t breathe and thought I was dying. My sister called me an ambulance and I was taken to hospital, I know so dramatic right. They did some tests but didn’t find anything wrong with me, so I went to the GP and after talking to me realised what the problem was. After my visit they referred me for counselling.
My counsellor was awesome. I had six sessions where I discussed what was wrong, and we talked through things to help battle the attacks and search for the warning signs. There were some underlying internal issues causing my anxiety as well some external pressures. Getting help for my anxiety was one of the best things I could’ve done, because I couldn't handle it by myself.

At the time of my diagnosis I didn’t know anyone that had anxiety or suffered with panic attacks, and I’d never heard anyone talk about it. It was quite a taboo thing (and still is), so I did feel quite alone. But my family were awesome, they educated themselves and when I get into a really bad state they know how to help me if I can’t help myself.

I don’t suffer with social anxiety much anymore. I think the more social things I did and the more I put myself out there that anxiety decreased a lot. I still can sometimes be struck down by it, but I definitely deal with a lot better now than I used too. My panic attacks are never going anywhere, but following my tips I know how to cope and know exactly what to do to keep them at bay.

Right so for the good bit. Here are my tips that I picked up from therapy and doing some research.

Therapy/counselling – Your anxiety may be linked to an underlying issue. So it could be good to seek professional help and get it under control. And even if it's not underlying it's good to talk to someone about your problems or worries.

Medication – There are anxiety meds available. I’ve never tried them but they could be of use to others.

Know the warning signs/triggers – 9 out of 10 times I can tell when I’m going to have a panic attack. So I try and avoid scenarios that I know will cause anxiety. So always try and think back to things that have triggered your attacks in the past and either avoid those situations or mentally prepare yourself if they are unavoidable.

Deep breathing – Taking slow deep breaths, helps to calm me down and regulate my breathing.

Elastic band – This is the most effective tip for me. I have an elastic band around my wrist and I ping it against my skin to “snap me back to reality” and distract me from the attack. I always have one on me, usually in my handbag.

Changing areas/rooms – A change of scenery can do you good. Sometimes getting up and changing rooms/environments or going outside for some fresh air can really help. 


I hope this has helped some of you and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.


What tips do you have for dealing with anxiety/panic attacks?

Sonya xoxo
Follow Me :)
*all products mentioned were purchased by me with my own money except where marked with an asterisk (*) or stated, everything is my own view and I have not been paid to do this post*

No comments:

Post a Comment