Saturday 15 June 2013

How to: Clean your make up brushes

Hey dolls,

Happy Saturday everyone...

We all know that time when it comes to the old boring task of cleaning our makeup brushes. I feel about cleaning my brushes like I do about washing up dishes (which I cant stand). Its really important to clean your brushes as they have bacteria on them that can cause spots. 

We all have different ways to do it. Here is how I clean my brushes.


Spot cleaning
This just is just a quick fix to give your brushes a quick cleanse. You should really deep cleanse them once a week (which I will go into). I have to admit sometimes I'm guilty of not following through with this with my own personal make up brushes. Especially as I have loads of my professional brushes to clean I kinda let my personal ones fall at the waistline, I know I'm terrible, but its fine as I'm the only one using them.


MAC Brush cleanser
If you're a make up lover you know about this brush cleanser. This was the first and ONLY brush cleanser I've ever used. I have others I just have never bothered to use them cos I'm really happy with this one.

What you need:
  • Brush cleanser
  • Towel
  • And of course your brushes :)
How to do it:
I squeeze some of the cleanser onto my brush or I pour some f the cleaner into the lid and dip my brushes in. Then I proceed to wipe the brush backwards and forwards and in circular motions onto a towel. Be sure to use an old towel (NOT one of your mum's good ones haha). If its a really dirty brush just repeat the steps. Once its clean reshape the brush and lay it on its side to dry, it shouldn't take long.

Deep cleansing
Is a way of thoroughly cleansing your brushes. Spot cleaning is like using a dry shampoo and deep cleansing is like how you wash your hair once a week with shampoo.



Mild or baby shampoo:
I use baby shampoo to deep clean my brushes, I got this cheap one from Tesco and its worked fine for me over the years. Sometimes if I have a really stubborn colour I will spot clean my brush in some olive oil then go ahead and shampoo it. I found that has made my brushes really soft.

What you need:
  • Shampoo
  • Olive oil (for the tougher stains)
  • Towel
  • Brushes ;-)
How to do it: 
Dampen your brush with some water, I use warm water when I wash mine. Squeeze some shampoo into the palm of your hands and then start swirling the brush around and getting the shampoo between the bristles. Then holding the brush upside down, rinse out the shampoo. Like your hair sometimes you'll need to rinse and repeat, depending on how dirty your brush is.

Its important when washing you brushes to make sure that you don't get any water on the handle or in the ferrule of the brush. The ferrule is the part of the brush beneath the bristles, its the part that holds the brush fibres in the handle. If water gets in there it will damage the brush fibres and melt the glue holing them in place and make your brush moult.

Hopefully this was helpful to some of you.

What are some of your favourite brush cleansers?

Sonya

*all products mentioned were purchased by me with my own money, everything is my own view and I have not been paid to do this post

2 comments: